Saturday, August 12, 2017

The Definitive Guide to Cancer

After my July appointment with Dr. Lu I was pretty depressed. after all I'd been through I was really hoping he'd say "It's all gone and it will never come back". That of course did not happen. But my dear friend Shawna reminded me that there are people like Chuck Watson who help themselves and live way longer than the doctors ever predicted. I FULLY INTEND TO BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.
So... I've been read like crazy. And implementing the things that make sense to me. This book
is a wonderful book. It is written by 2 doctors who had cancer and have achieved long term survival.
It deals with a lot of science, but they've managed to make most of it very understandable.
When I started chemo Dr. Lu did a terrific job of educating us on foods to eat and foods to avoid to help ease the side affects and boost the chemo results.This book does a lot of that, but bit looks at how to prevent cancer, how to treat it, and what you can do to help stop it from spreading.
Mark and I have eaten healthier since I was diagnosed but now we often evaluate our meal by how colorful it is; green salad, tomatoes, cantelope, and steak make for a colorful meal and that's what we strive for. Lots of fruits and vegetables and especially green leafy vegetables.That is from the book.
We exercise (I am limitted to my treadmill for now because of the smoke) and plenty of rest. I also take a bunch of supplements (vitamins D and C, COQ-10, tumeric, melatonin, and a multivitamin with selenium). I would recommend this book for anyone at any stage of cancer- even if you do not have it and want to prevent that from happening.

A second book I read was by Kris Carr, also a cancer survivor. She's a little out there (retail therapy is still therapy she says). I would not give the book to a man or to my mother to read.  It is titled Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips. If you are thinking of getting it would preview it before I bought it.It did have some good things in it like remember to be grateful and to express your appreciation, don't keep it to yourself. And find something artsy to do to get your mind and heart back into seeing and creating beauty in your life.  Hence, many of you are getting things I am making because it really does feel therapeutic and good for me. It rachets up my positivity, which we ll know is important for healing.

So, I am so grateful for my friends and colleques. For people this last week who hugged me, smiled at me, told me how glad they were to see me again. You are good medicine and I thank you all!!

1 comment:

  1. "I fully intend to be one of those people..."! No doubt in my mind, yes, you are!!!!!!....You are an inspiration!!!!!! 💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete