Friday, January 13, 2017

Lung Re-section

I am a little wobbly this morning so I hope it all comes together and makes sense.

I had a chest X-Ray on Tuesday evening and then saw Dr. Lu on Wednesday morning. He says it appears that the tumor shrunk again with the third round of chemo I did in December. I had a CT scan Wednesday afternoon that should confirm that. That's good news.

Dr. Lu confirmed what Dr. Aye told us after the wedge; that spot on the right side did not look cancer-involved and Thursday afternoon one of Dr. Aye's PAs said the same thing. More great news!!

I am a little scared and wanted some time to settle into the idea of losing my left lung, but both Dr. Aye and Dr. Lu disagree. Dr. Lu said if I was his mom he would tell me to take the first possible date and get the cancer removed. Dr. Aye said "Let's get it out so you can go on with the rest of your life".

So, my lung resection will be at Swedish on February 7th.

Dr. Lu and Dr. Aye had a peer-to-peer conversation about the anatomy of the tumor. They are looking at where the blood vessels go to see if Dr. aye can do a lobectomy or if he has to take the entire left lung. He says its better that a 50% the whole left side will have to come out. I appreciate that that was a thoughtful decision.

As I know more, I will let you know. Thank you for hanging with me. Thank you for kind notes, funny and/or inspirational texts, and any small check-ins. Thanks to people like Amy and Dave who cleared massive amounts of snow from my driveway! Every contact bolsters my flagging courage and helps me believe I really can do this.

Thank you all!!

9 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you that the wedge surgery went well! Your blogs are so well written and informative that I look forward to each one.....you are always on our minds and in our hearts. So glad you have Marks support and such a positive attitude.....keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you really can do this! Your cheer squad is cheering you on! Happy for all the good news and so thankful for wise doctors giving you thoughtful opinions. Thank you for sharing your journey. It's a hard, painful journey but you are overcoming each obstacle with such courage. I'm praying! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  3. It made my day seeing you!!! The information you share in this blog is so appreciated. You've got this Kathy!! So thankful for wise doctors on your team. Know that you have a huge team of supporters here at home praying and sending love❤️❤️❤️❤️. Do not hesitate to speak up if you need anything. Anything! 528-0975 Hugs and love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want to write again as you are on my heart. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were in my prayers at mass this morning and I put your name into the intentions while at Christ the King last week. We all discussed our expectation for a speedy recovery during our Alliance Director's Advisory Board and you are on our minds and in our hearts! We wait to hear the good news that you are free of cancer and heading back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Tuesday the 7th fast approaches, I'm praying for your peace of heart and mind. May your sleep be sound and restful. May you feel safety in God and those He uses to care for you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending prayers to you, stay brave and strong. You got this girl! 💞 DeLine family

    ReplyDelete
  8. We pray and talk about you all the time Kathy! We sure miss you! Praying for a speedy recovery and looking forward to hearing about the positive results from surgery. Huge hugs to the feisty and loving red head!! <3

    ReplyDelete