Monday, March 6, 2017

Filling up

This is me in the hospital.
One of the nice things about Swedish is they let the spouse stay in the room over night, if they want. Mark stayed with me the whole time on a roll-away bed. He helped monitor all the medicines they came in and gave me during the dark hours, he held my hand while they gave me hepperin shots in the abdomen at midnight every night, and his calm reassuring presence made everything way more bearable. I am not sure how much sleep he got and I feel bad about that, but I am sure grateful he was there!

I had the have my head elevated at 30 - 45 degrees as all times. I slept at this angle, as well as sat that way all day. Dr. Aye put up signs on my door and on my bed to make everyone aware. When some-ne asked if I wouldn't like to lie flatter and get some rest, Mark quickly stepped in the tell them the scoop.

The extra bed you see beside me in the room came every morning to take me down a few floors for x-rays. I did not know this before but, when you have something removed in your body (like half a lung) and it leaves an empty spot - a cavity, your body works to fill up that space. In cases like mine a viscous liquid, almost like a gel, forms and slowly fills the empty spot. They would x-ray every morning to check on the progress of the liquid and see how the fill was progressing.

I go see Dr. Lu on March 9th and go back to see Dr. Aye at Swedish March 29th. After that we will know definitively how things went and what what our next steps are.

We thank everyone who has come to visit and brought such good cheer! We continue to be thankful for all the food (and dessert :)), and all your prayers. Stay in touch, please. After this tough winter I hope spring will be easy and beautiful for all of you.

6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear from you. I have been wondering how it went, how you are holding up and when you will learn more. Mark being there for you is a real blessing! Those guys! We complain about them a lot but they are really wonderful to have around, aren't they. Think of you daily and sending healing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Mark could stay in your room and be your advocate! Amazing that you're already walking 10-20 minutes and taking so few meds! You are an amazing overachiever! Thanks for the update and let us know if we can help with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy! You were on my mind today & so, I got myself caught up on your blog... you've been busy! I continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers... I'll be grateful when you are feeling so well that we can talk shop :) Take care Kathy- Monica Riffle

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a strong woman Kathy and I'm so glad you have an attentive and loving husband on your journey to being cancer free. Hope your appointment went well today! I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tough road you both have been on! That's amazing Mark was able to stay with you! I'm sure that helped ease his mind knowing the doctors orders were going to be followed with him there helping make sure everyone was on the same page! You two are an amazing couple! Love you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy. We have been thinking about and praying for you. Happy to hear you are in good hands with your docs and they let Mark stay by your side. Hang in there, sweet lady. Stay brave and strong, better days are just around the corner! Love and healing to you. Jeff, Linda, Darryn, and Briana DeLine

    ReplyDelete