Friday, September 1, 2017

Lead Lined Syringe

Image result for Images of PET scan syringeImage result for Images of PET scan syringeImage result for Images of PET scan syringe

These are images of the syringe that the tech used yesterday on my PET scan. After reading more about the scan last week, I was curious about how they contained the radioactive tracers.

It is a specially designed syringe that is lead lined to protect the techs from over-exposure to the radioactivity. The techs even wear badges that track their exposure. The IV needle they put in your arm to receive the glucose is actually smaller than a normal IV needle - which was a bonus.

And because they are shooting you full of a concentration of glucose that is straight sugar, you have to have a finger prick blood test to see if you can tolerate the sugar. My sugar levels are "perfect". Yay! - I don't have to worry about diabetes she said..

I will find out on September 15th or 19th what the PET showed. In the meanwhile I am making plans, keeping busy, and to lower my anxiety I am trying to be crafty on the weekends (since the Mariners have let me down and I can no longer watch them, without extra anti-anxiety pills!) Does anyone want a home-made apron?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you're finding ways to keep your mind busy and your spirits up! I'll keep praying for good results my friend.
    I'd love an apron! Maybe it would keep me from making such a mess of my clothes - Hee Hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love an apron made my you!!!! Glad you are crafting and doing all kinds of good things to show kindness to your body and mind. I'm praying for you!💜

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ❤️ my apron!!!!! Thank you!! It's like getting a hug from you every time I wear it and it is cheerful and happy, just like you!!!!
    I'm praying for you as you await your results - may the peace of God flood your soul and quiet your thoughts as you trust in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been doing watercolor classes recently - they are specially designed to make it impossible to fail (even for the non-experienced painter). I'd love to take one with you Kathy! Let me know what you think and we can pick out something to do together.

    ReplyDelete