Thursday, April 13, 2017

Getting Ready for Radiation

  This is the machine they used to map my esophagus on Monday. It looks an awful lot like my CT scanner, so I am not sure it is the machine that will deliver the radiation. If it is not, I will take a picture on Tuesday and add it to the blog.

  This is a mold of my upper body. it will make sure I am laying in the same place just the exact same way each time.  I got a third tattoo, too. They wrote all over my sides and chest with a sharpie and took pictures ... I am impressed with how precisely targetted the treatments will be.

I am supposed to reach up and grab the handles so my hands don't figit.  They also wrap my feet in a giant rubber band so my legs don't twitch. And then they will shoot me with radiation for about five minutes.

I start radiation the 18th with a dry run, just to make sure there are no problems. Then, beginning Wednesday the 19th  I will have the treatments Monday - Friday until June 5th.

It has been fun to be back to work and I appreciate all the kindness everyone has shown me! The radiation may cause a sunburn like effect, or it may not. It might cause me to have heart burn-like symptoms since it is my esophagus we are treating, but they have medicine to alleviate that, should it happen. Since the side-effects are so minor I asked for the last appointment of they day and that will allow me  to continue to work.

I am anxious and excited to see you all again! I hope you all have a lovely weekend and a Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. So excited to hear you are back to work. We have really missed you and felt your absence so much! It all sounds so positive, I am continuing to pray that it keeps being that way. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete