Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Pulmonary Function Test

So, best case scenerio for me in this journey is to find that I am a candidate to have the left upper lobe surgically removed from my lung. That is where the cancer mass is.
The first determining factor is to evaluate my lung/pulmonary capacity; I have to be able to live without that portion of the lung. Any one who knows me knows I have lots of lung capacity; I talk a lot, I do spin class, I run around my building like crazy and I am never short of breath.
My say-so, however, did not count for much.
So, I had a PFT done on Thursday. Below is the tech who did it and the booth I sat in for the tests. They measured my regular breathing, how much air I took in with a deep breath and how forcefully I could blow it out. They measured how the pressure in the booth changed when I breathed in and out. And the evaluated how much air was being absorbed by calculating the difference in how much air I took in and what I released out. All in all it was pretty interesting.

            

The tech said I did good, so keep your fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment